Celebrate National Chocolate Day (and every other day) with this creamy Italian pudding.
Budino is an Italian custard similar to a pudding, with your choice of flavorings. Of course we recommend chocolate, but you can get creative and use whatever you have handy in your kitchen.
Serve in individual bowls with spiked whipped cream and wafer crisps to impress your dinner guests, or dig right into the pan for a weeknight treat. Either way, this easy dessert is sure to satisfy any sweet tooth!
This recipe couldn’t be simpler to execute. The key is in the whisking.
Do you know how to make basic whipped cream? Use an electric mixer to whip 1 cup heavy cream to stiff peaks—whip in 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or your favorite liqueur—a coffee liqueur would be nice for this dish; Irish cream is lovely on anything), plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar. Double the batch to cover this budino.
- 3 cups milk
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup cream
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 10 ounces chocolate chips
- Large heavy bottom pot
- Small bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 8”x8” baking pan
- 8 small bowls
- Serving spoon
- Whipped cream
- In your large pot, whisk together about 1/8 cup of the milk into the cornstarch. Whisk in remaining milk and cream; set over a medium flame. Whisk in cocoa powder and sugar.
- Continually whisk until the pudding starts to set up—5-6 minutes. Whisk in the whole eggs, one at a time. Continue to whisk; add in the yolks.
- Turn heat off. Whisk in chips until they’ve fully melted.
- Pour mixture into brownie pan; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 3 hours—or overnight.
- Cover the pan with a healthy layer of whipped cream
- Set the bowls and serving spoon nearby