Your New Favorite Dip-able Sandwich
"Growing up in New Jersey, my family never made French dip sandwiches. I was deprived, in a sense. When I moved to Denver as a young adult, I had my first French Dip sandwich at Cherry Creek Grille, and I was blown away by the flavors — the crisp baguette, the melty cheese, seasoned roast beef with a wonderfully fragrant au jus. As I sat and enjoyed my sandwich, I thought about ways to make it better, and that’s when I decided to make the ultimate dip — an Italian dip, perfected first as a sandwich I’d make after long nights on the line." -Chef Frank Bonanno
THE ITALIAN DIP
Chef Frank Bonanno, Bonanno Concepts
For the au jus
- 2 cups chicken stock (low sodium)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 4 sage leaves
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- 4 Tbsp butter, softened
- 2 pounds high quality roast beef
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 4 mini French banquettes or Ciabatta rolls
- Salt and black pepper
- Frigidaire Professional Infrared Convection Toaster Oven
- Cuisinart Griddler/Panini Press
- Small, deep baking dish with lid
- 4 plates; 4 small bowls for au jus
- For the au jus, preheat toaster oven to 350 degrees.
- While the toast oven is warming, fire up the Cuisinart Griddler. When griddler surface is warm, melt 2 Tbsp of butter on the surface.
- Once butter has melted, add chopped onions and sauté until translucent and fragrant. Transfer onions to baking dish and add chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, sage leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cover the dish and place in the toaster oven. The au jus should begin to simmer – allow the flavors to meld for 15-20 minutes.
- For the dip, cut your bread in half, spread soft butter on each side and place bread cut side down on griddler. Pile on a generous amount of roast beef and two slices of Provolone.
- Take the second slice of bread and put it on top of cheese. Press the panini until bread is golden brown and hot. Repeat for each sandwich.
- To serve, cut the panini in half and serve on a plate with a bowl full of warm au jus.
How to Make the Ultimate Sandwich